My Real Life Dirt Girl

I now have a real life dirt girl.

image source

And no, she doesn’t have weird looking real eyes and mouth superimposed on an animated body (tell me, I’m not the only one slightly freaked out by that?)

No, my 2 year old, Delilah, is now a real life dirt girl. She has had an obsession with stones and pebbles for some time now and has on occasion dabbled in the joys of dirt. For instance, she has had a long running interest in pulling out 2 of my potted plants and throwing the dirt around. While I have had a long running stake in reclaiming the dirt and re-potting said plants. May they now rest in peace.

But on the weekend Delilah REALLY discovered dirt. And she loved it.

It began with her “helping” me to weed the back garden. She loved the feel of the dirt on her hands and got busy making holes in the garden bed. She then eagerly followed this up by providing “assistance” with watering the newly weeded garden. Which inevitably led to mud and mess and mayhem. And a whole lot of fun.

Since then, Delilah has been drawn back to the dirt. She has taken handfuls of dirt from the recently departed pot plants and buried her toys in it. She has poured dirt into the back of her ride on trike and ridden it around. She has thrown dirt around our back undercover area and squished her feet through it.

But we reached the heights of her new obsession last night. Unbeknownst to us she had ridden her ride on trike inside earlier in the day and parked it in the corner of her room. After being put to bed she decided to continue her play from earlier on, so she relieved her trike of its dirt contents. All over her bedroom floor.

I came in a little later on and found one dirty little girl who should have been well and truly in bed surrounded by a pile of dirt. All over the cream carpet of our rented house. Thankfully the dirt was dry so it easily cleaned up but I must admit I was pretty cranky at first. She should have been asleep and I should have been winding down for the night instead of doing even more cleaning.

But there was no harm done and, sure enough, Delilah was back outside this afternoon playing with her dirt again. But I did ensure the trike was not with her. And I made sure I did a more thorough sweep of her room before bed to prevent a repeat of last night’s antics. You can never be too careful, you know?

But I do wonder what my little real life dirt girl will get up to tomorrow…

Linking up with Jess from Diary of a SAHM for IBOT – enjoy your Tuesday everybody!

1. AWESOME!! originally we didn’t like Dirt girl world.. but it grew on us.. and our daughter loves digging in the garden so watching DGW has helped us learn new things she can do in the garden!!!

YAY for dirt!

#teamIBOT was here to say hello 🙂
    Yvette @ DTlilsquirts recently posted..how to make sushi rice balls – in rice cooker

Thanks Yvette. I like the message of the show I just get freaked a little by the mash up of the characters! And yes, yay for dirt!

2. Oh no!! I wouldn’t have been happy with dirt girl either. Rachel xx

#teamIBOT was here
    Rachel from Redcliffe Style recently posted..W.E review and DVD giveaway

Rachel, I’ve been really, really careful to ensure that she finds no other ways to smuggle dirt into the house – who would have thought that’s what I’d have to worry about with my baby girl!

3. Debyl1 says:

When my girl was little she also loved stones and dirt.
    She is 18 now and one of her favourite memories is when I let her paint herself with mud!She thought it was the best photo of herself ever.
    I love when they have such fun with nature.xx

It’s her enjoyment of the outdoors that makes it bearable at the moment! I’m personally not a fan of dirt myself, but as long as most of it stays outside and she can be cleaned up, that’s fine with me!

4. Mel says:

Dirt girl is freaky! It’s fun watching them find the world around us 🙂
    Mel recently posted..Crap Loads of Fun!

I’m glad I’m not the only one disturbed by the mash-up of real eyes and mouth on an animated face! It has been fun watching her enjoyment of the world around her and all the sensory fun she is having with mud and dirt – as long as she can manage to keep most of the mess outside!

5. My two little girls have been spending a lot of time in the garden lately. They love digging and watering and generally getting grubby! such fun! x
    Catherine Rodie Blagg (Cup of Tea and a Blog) recently posted..I am turning into my mother

My older two kids never really played with dirt so this is sort of a new experience for me. I’m hoping I can coax them all outside a little more now the weather is starting to warm up – it is lovely seeing the kids making the most of the outdoors!

6. lisa Wood says:

Too Cute! At least it was only dirt and not a dirty nappy that she was playing in 🙂
    Amazing what they discover and love at that age – wonder if she will be a landscape gardener when she gets older? Or a construction worker!
    At least she is learning, playing and having lots of fun. We have a earth baby (our last boy loves getting dirty). He is now seven and still manages to find dirt wherever he goes. It is so him and what he is like, yet his 10 year old brother comes back from playing with our youngest, and he is clean 🙂
    they sure keep us on our toes.
    lisa Wood recently posted..Disconnect To Reconnect

That’s a good point Lisa, although she did have a “poo” incident in her room a few weeks back…thank goodness THAT didn’t turn into an obsession!

I think Delilah will be our earth baby too – her older brother and sister have never shown much interest in playing outside but that’s where she’s wanted to be from day dot. They do certainly keep us on our toes – and I wouldn’t have it any other way!

7. jess says:

Oh I did have to giggle throughout this, but I can imagine your frustration!

Also, I can’t stand dirt girl. She is way too freaky for me.

I’m glad you agree with me on that one Jess – as much as I love the message of the show, those eyes and mouths REALLY get to me!

8. I must check DGW out as i have never heard of her.

At least it was dirt and not red nail polish (which will guarantee you a loss of bond), but in saying that i still would have been just as frustrated.

Gotta love kids he he
    Me N my Monkeys recently posted..It really is wordless..

You must check it out – a good show with a great message, even if the animation looks freaky…

Yes, I know it could have been worse, and it has been in other parts of the house. She did get into my makeup early on in the lease and made quite a mess in our bedroom – we’ll see how THAT affects our bond!

9. dirtgirl says:

Hi Kirsty
    Love that your little green thumb is into getting grubby . I completely understand just how cool dirt is. Oh by the way have a really close look at my body and you will see it’s real – not animated…tricky , hey!
    have fun
    love
    dirtgirl

Hey dirtgirl, thanks for clearing that bit up for me. You’ll be pleased to know that my little dirt girl is still enjoying the fun of the outdoors – I think we definitely have a little green thumb there!

1. December 22, 2012

[…] still working on being a working parent, we signed to a builder and I revealed I had my very own dirt girl. I renewed my fight against Every Student Every School and I pondered the working parent jigsaw […]