The Great Sport Divide

Forget the Great Dividing Range.

In my family, there is the great sporting divide.

On one side of it, sits my husband. He is not a sporty man by any means and really does not enjoy playing or watching much sport. Never has, never will. I count it a great success that I ever got him to watch one of my team’s tennis finals. I suspect he sat through 5 hours of boredom in the sun in the hope of getting lucky…

I, predictably, ย sit on the other side. I love watching sport and used to love playing it too. Before I became lazy and busy with the kids and utterly demotivated.

We are the opposite of the sterotypical family, you know the one, where the husband is depicted sitting on the lounge, flicking between cricket and league and AFL and motor racing, while the wife is bored witless?

image credit

In this house, I’m the one who looks forward to State of Origin, who watches tennis non-stop each summer and who enjoys a bit of cricket on the side.

I’m the one who will join in with sporting conversations at BBQs and who will have an opinion on the form of my beloved Wests Tigers.

But it’s quite inconvenient to be married to someone who doesn’t like sport the way you do.

While my husband doesn’t mind watching a bit of tennis from time to time, ย he is not a league man and absolutely loathes cricket. So over time, my viewing habits have changed to the point where I have only watched a couple of games of league this year and have buckley’s chance of ever watching cricket.

I don’t mind that so much as I would much rather spend some quality time with him than being banished to another room to watch sport. But there are times that I do miss the old days, where I watched the league double header every Friday night (I even got to the odd game as well!) and spent hot summer days enjoying one-dayers with the air con cranked to the max.

So I am savouring my viewing right now – I am currently watching the third State of Origin with a chaser of Wimbledon to come a little later. Yes, my husband is out for the evening, for our mutual benefit!

And I cannot wait until the Olympic Games start in less than a month’s time – squee!

So how are you and your partner placed on the great sport divide?

Linking up with Kate Says Stuff for Thankful Thursday as I am ever so thankful for my much needed sporting fix!

1. oh Kirsty, I think we are kindred spirits! I could watch all 2 weeks of the tennis majors, first match to last, and all the tourneys in between if only they were aired! And I will happily sit and watch Rugby or Cricket. My husband not so much. He’s into American sports tho (he’s American) so he follows what’s going on over there, but of course that doesn’t give him much to talk about over here! I play tennis too! Not sure if our team will make the finals this season tho. I hope so!

Good on you for still playing tennis. I decided to take a break from competitive tennis last year but am feeling the itch to play again. Good luck to your team for your comp.

I’m already sad that Winbledon is nearly at an end…I really, really wish I had pay TV so I could watch it all, week in week out!

2. kelli says:

I don’t have a partner but when I did he wsn’t interested in watching sport. Me, well I don’t watch ANY tv really so no sport here either. Personally, I would rather watch grass grow LOL
    kelli recently posted..Did god do it or someone else?

It is definitely each to their own when it comes to watching or playing sport. I just wish my husband and I were a little more compatible in that area!

3. Jess says:

I’m not a huge fan. I’ll watch the afl with Boatman, but that’s about it. Can’t stand cricket and loathe tennis (sorry!) Thankfully Boatman is not crazy about all sports; just a few ๐Ÿ™‚

4. carmen says:

Luckily, we share this love! I’m usually trackside with camera in hand on the suicide line!
    Roller Derby rocks. ๐Ÿ™‚
    x
    carmen recently posted..Hooray for holidays!

I am intrigued by roller derby but as I am utterly uncoordinated on skates it’s not something that I’ll be doing anytime soon ๐Ÿ˜‰ Glad you are as enthusiastic as each other, that would definitely make things easier!

5. Ha. The great sport divide at our place is that hub likes to watch any of it, big boy is obsessed with motocross and racing and I find all of it insanely boring!!! ๐Ÿ˜‰
    katesaysstuff recently posted..Thankful Thursday: In pictures.

It seems like it’s either all or nothing when it comes to partners and sport. It would be nice to find an even middle ground one day, wouldn’t it?

6. That would be a tricky problem to have! Fortunately there isn’t really a great sport divide in out household. Both hubs and I have the same level of non-interest. He is not really into football (which suits me fine!) and while we will watch pieces of the Olympics, neither of us gets really fired up about sport. I’d rather play sport than watch it.
    Robyn (@slightly_deep) recently posted..My boy

That’s a good point Robyn – it would be better for all of us if we played more sport rather than just watching it. I know I’m keen to get back into tennis again as well as having more regular walks – I think Winbledon has inspired me!

1. December 22, 2012

[…] – we bought a block of land, I discussed our family’s great sport divide and I enjoyed an unexpected conversation with the kids. Then the stress of life hit with full force […]