Thankful for Local Bloggers

This week I’m so thankful for having finally had the chance to meet some local bloggers.

Up until now I had been pottering around on my own and hadn’t met any other bloggers in person.

Except for my husband who is my blogging buddy, IT guru and blog designer rolled into one – he is indeed awesome but maybe family shouldn’t count in this case?

Anyway, I felt it was time to move outside my comfort zone and meet some others who shared and understood my love of blogging and social media.

So when Lisa (Madam Bipolar) organised a meet-up for Newcastle, Hunter Valley and Central Coast bloggers I took the plunge and RSVP’d before I could talk myself out of it.

I was still determined to attend even after I found out that my husband would be away on a school camp which meant I needed to arrange childcare for my three little bears in order to go.

But I did go. And I did have a great time. And I did meet some great people.

I now know some people who will also be going to DPCON12 in Melbourne in a few weeks time, which will make my first formal foray into the blogosphere a little bit less intimidating.

So…Lisa, Debbie, Marissa, Alyssa, Caz, Zoey, Siobhan, Stephanie, Rachel, Linda…it was a pleasure to meet you all, thanks so much for a great night!

It’s comforting and exciting and motivating to know that there are so many amazing bloggers so close at hand.

Hopefully, from this first meet-up we’ll be able to build a local community of bloggers – and that’s something for which I’m truly thankful.

Joining in for Thankful Thursday with Kate Says Stuff – I would love to know what you are thankful for today!

1. Alyssa says:

Great to meet you too! I hope it can become a regular thing!
    Alyssa

Me too Alyssa! Its great to know that there are a few of us about and that we are not alone. And that we are all normal and nice!

2. Hi Kirsty, it was an absolute pleasure meeting you – I’m looking forward to chatting with you more at our next meet up! Linda 🙂

It was great to meet you too Linda. I’m looking forward to another meet-up – hopefully I won’t have to leave quite so early next time!

3. CJ says:

Well done Kirsty. I bow down to your courage. Here’s to the start of something wonderful for being brave enough to take that step! 🙂
    CJ recently posted..Thoughts and thanks

It was a big and scary step for me but I’m really proud of myself for doing it. Hopefully I’ll feel a little more relaxed and ready for the next one, now that I have taken the plunge.

4. So glad you all had a good night 🙂

I went to bed early in protest of not being able to come down for it lol

Definitely should do it again, and I’ll be booking it in and telling Hubby “tough cookies buddy you’ve got the kids! And you can do school!” lol
    miss.cinders recently posted..Thankful Thursday – Not Having to Share

I would have loved to have met you Miss Cinders – hoping to rectify that next meet-up!

If it makes you feel better I ended up having to leave early as my husband was inconsiderate enough to have gone on a school camp this week so I had to get back to the kids – next time, I’ll be there for the long haul!

5. Hi Kirsty, I was on a huge high when I met my first bloggers a month into my blogging so I hear you 🙂 great to hear you are going to DP Conference I hope to meet you then. K

It was a big step and I’m glad I got to do it before heading down to Melbourne.

I will look out for you down there – it will be novel to have a few Kirsty’s/Kyrstie’s in the same place!!!

6. Caz Makepeace says:

So great to meet you last night Kirsty! It was a fun dinner

Caz, it was lovely to meet you too.

I’m actually still in awe at how many awesome bloggers we have in Newcastle, the Hunter and the Central Coast – makes me even prouder to be a local!

7. Laura says:

I love our blog meet ups. I have met some amazing friends through it. South Africa is small enough for us all to have met bloggers in different cities as well!

Meeting up does make it all the more real, doesn’t it? You go from being alone in front of a screen to mingling with complete strangers, yet you know their story from their blog.

It was great to talk to people who actually understood blogging and social media and didn’t just look at you weird for writing on the internet – it was good for my soul!

8. Jayne says:

Good on you for venturing out of your comfort zone!
    Jayne recently posted..I almost forgot to be thankful.

9. Maxabella says:

There are a great bunch of bloggers in your area, Kirsty. How fantastic that you all came together like this. I am a bit scared to meet other bloggers IRL, but there is so much to gain from just making the leap! x
    Maxabella recently posted..Do the cool kids think they’re cool?

It was very scary to go to but I’m so glad that I did. I’m also hoping taking that first step makes coming down to Melbourne in a few weeks that little bit less scary…we’ll see!!!!

1. December 22, 2012

[…] was offered a new opportunity at work and I went  outside my comfort zone by meeting up with some local bloggers before travelling to Melbourne to attend […]