So I’m Going to the Digital Parents Conference…

And I thought I better introduce myself before I go!

Hi, I’m Kirsty. I’m 36 and I’m from Newcastle. I’m blonde and I’m short and I’ve been told I sound a little like Judith Lucy – but don’t ask me to tell you a joke!

I have been blogging since January last year but this will be my first formal blogging event.

To calm my nerves I decided to volunteer and will be greeting attendees at the back of the room on the day, with Denyse Whelan, so feel free to come on up and say hi!

I am not the most organised person in the world – that’s probably why I’m still waiting for my business cards to be delivered…

I am also probably the only attendee who hasn’t yet worked out what they are taking and what they are going to wear. Seriously I have absolutely no idea what I’m taking yet.

That’s probably because there is so much still to do here at home before I even go.

It’s Gilbert’s 8th birthday on Wednesday so there are presents to wrap, cakes to bake and an informal party to arrange.

Not to mention the Stage 1 project on the 5 senses of the body that is due on Friday for my older kids (SO much more to do there!)

Oh, and I’m working up until Thursday so I won’t be getting into Melbourne until around 8.30pm, so no opportunity for any pre-conference get-togethers for me.

But I am so looking forward to visiting Melbourne again and I can’t wait to meet you all.

Oh, and maybe I’m a little excited to have a chance to have 2 nights of uninterrupted sleep!

So, if you are going to be in Melbourne too, please leave a comment below and let me know your name and your blog.

And on Friday look for the short, blonde, unprofessional greeter at the back of the room, who sounds a little bit like Judith Lucy – because that will probably be me!

Linking up with Jess from Diary of a SAHM for IBOT – visit her blog and share a bit of comment love with all those who blog on Tuesdays!

1. Kate Sins says:

Hahaha! I was just popping by to see if I could still link up my ‘I must confess post…’ (because I’m now okay about our son’s little adventure) and I see this! Genius idea!! I thought about doing something similar and I might just do it… Hope it’s okay.

Looking forward to meeting you. Oh, and I have no idea what I’m taking (will probably just end up being a pen, paper and my phone) and what I’m wearing! I promise I’ll be in clothes though.

If I don’t get round to popping up a post like this I’ll be the loud one with badly-in-need-of-redoing blonde hair and red glasses.
    Kate Sins recently posted..Trying not to think about what could’ve happened…

Yay, so glad we will meet Kate! And you should definitely do a post for DPCON!

The link up is still live if you want to link your post up – it lasts all week.

Also very happy to hear that I’m not the only one who’s woefully unprepared for Friday…see you then!

2. Hi Kirsty! I don’t know who Judith Lucy is, but if you’re with Denyse I’ll definitely recognise you! She’s a lovely woman who took me under her arm at my first conference last year. See you there!
    Laney @ Crash Test Mummy recently posted..Crash Test Mummies vs Muddled Up Mummas

Thanks Laney, I’m sure Denyse will be my rock on the day. And Judith Lucy is an Australian comedian who used to be on a TV show called “The Late Show” when I was in high school – all my friends back then used to say I sounded like her, it’s literally the closest thing to a claim to fame that I have!

3. Jess says:

Oh this is a good idea! I’m terrified I won’t be able to recognise people in the flesh though, or associate them with their blog! I’m assuming most people will be similar though, so hopefully no one gets offended at me saying ‘sorry, who are you?’

Btw I’m Jess, I’m at diary of a SAHM, and I’ll make sure I come and say hi!
    Jess recently posted..Diary of a SAHM does Free Hugs

Thanks Jess. I’ll be pretty much the same on the day, frantically trying to place names with faces and blogs and failing miserably. Glad I won’t be alone!

4. So looking forward to meeting you – I will be the short brunette (the inherenty unco-ordinated one…so apologies in advance if I side swipe you / trip over you / spill something on you / run into a wall next to you), working the Registration Table on the big day.

Georgia @ Parental Parody

Looking forward to meeting you too, Georgia, even if we do have to get there at an ungodly early hour. If it makes you feel better I’m pretty unco too – my husband doesn’t even pretend to care now when I stub my toe, he’s so used to me doing on pretty much a daily basis!

5. Lyndal says:

oh hello there lovely!!
    Good on you for braving your fears, and nervousness and totally jumping right in!!!
    Lyndal recently posted..breathe in, breathe out

6. Ames says:

Oh I wish I was going! Have a ball, I can’t wait to hear all about it.
    Ames recently posted..Marching To My Own Beat #marchownbeat

I would have loved to have met you too Ames. Maybe next year? I hope I have some interesting tales to tell on my return…we’ll have to wait and see!

7. Good idea! I think it’s great that you’ve volunteered to greet people because you’re nervous.
    Unfortunately, I won’t be there, do try and have fun without me 😉 Seriously, though, I hope you have a blast!!
    Becky from BeckyandJames.com recently posted..I Haz Drawing Skillz

I’m sorry I won’t get to meet you Becky! I’m hoping to learn lots and have fun. I definitely feel better knowing that I have a legitimate reason for putting myself out there by volunteering. Hopefully I will have a good experience to share when I return!

8. Misha says:

I’m not going to the conference but I hope you have fun! I’m sure I’ll read all about it so I’ll feel like I’m attending vicariously! Enjoy. 🙂
    Misha recently posted..Comment on Green by Becky from BeckyandJames.com

If it’s anything like last year, there will be lots happening for those not attending through social media. I lived vicariously through it via Twitter last year! I can’t wait to learn all I can, we’ll see how much I take in while actually being there…

9. Hi Buddy …you will be fine..and as long as you can check out people’s lanyards for their name it will be good. Believe me…it is a busy time but everyone is just as worried as being unco or nervous. Just try to breathe out once you are on the plane. The family will be OK…see you soon.
    Denyse
    Denyse Whelan recently posted..What is the Digital Parents’ Australia Conference 2012?

Now we are after the event I do want to thank you again for helping me out in the morning. It was lovely to have support in meeting people before the conference and have a few people to talk to during the day. I’m so glad that I volunteered and I hope to do so again next year. Hopefully we can meet up again at the next one Denyse!

10. Bronwyn says:

Hi Kirsty … Hope to meet you there on Friday.

I’m glad we did meet up Bronwyn – I enjoyed out chat at the conference dinner, hoping we can meet again at the next one!

11. Lady Daa Doo says:

Have a great time at the conference!!! I have never been to a blog conference …. next time.
    Lady Daa Doo recently posted..The Road to El Dorando

I hope to meet you again at one soon! I ended up really enjoying it even though I made the classic rookie mistake of not considering checking in luggage on the way home (there was quite a bag of freebies to take home!) Already looking forward to the next one!