Searching for the Feeling and the Vibe…

Image courtesy Tamara Rennie (www.weheartit.com)

We have just sold our house. It was quicker than we expected which was a pleasant surprise but has led us to an interesting conundrum.

Now, believe me, I will certainly not be missing the never-ending battle to keep the house “inspection-ready” – no siree!

But the quick sale has placed us under some pressure to find somewhere else to buy or rent, quick smart.

We have seen lots of houses in our preferred area over the last few months – all meeting our list of requirements (4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 2 living areas, double garage).

However, none of them have felt right.

I haven’t “felt it in my waters” (thanks Kath and Kim).

And I haven’t felt “the vibe” (thanks Aussie to that Aussie classic, “The Castle”).

The houses we have seen have been pleasant and definitely an improvement on our current abode.

But it’s clear we haven’t found “The One” yet.

We felt the feeling and the vibe when we bought our first house, a split level unit with raked ceilings and an internal courtyard.

The unit complex was vast and pretty dire but we felt at home in our little piece of it and lived there relatively happily for 4 years.

We again felt the feeling and the vibe when we bought our current house, despite knowing the house was not going to be big enough for us.

It was cosy and homely and we were seduced by the potential of our enormous backyard. We have also lived here relatively happily for 4 years.

So am I asking too much in wanting that feeling and the vibe again for our next house?

Or should I just accept that getting something that fits the criteria should be enough?

What say you? Do you need “the vibe” to know you’re buying the right house? Or can you be happy with a house that has what you need, even if you don’t have “that feeling”?

I look forward to hearing what you think!

Linking up with Jess from Diary of a SAHM for IBOT – you should head on over to her place and check out all the other posts linked up this Tuesday.

1. Lyndal says:

oh my dear, i do not think you are asking too much at all!!! its going to be your home for many years, so the vibe, and the feeling is all incredibly important! keep going, its out there xx
    Lyndal recently posted..don’t you know that I’m still standing

Thanks for the vote of confidence Lyndal. As it happens we have now found a place that looks like it may have a bit of a vibe for us so I’m glad we held out. Now we just have to find a way to secure it…oh the pressure!!!

2. Sam-O says:

I also referenced The Castle today!

We have lived in LOTS of houses. I am married to a builder. The interesting thing I have found is that the Vibe is fickle. I hated this house when we moved in but now I am dreading leaving. The vibe arrived about 2 months after we moved in.

In the last house I had and still have (sad leaving that one) the vibe, but the Workaholic fell out of love about 6 months in. Some places had the potential for the vibe but never got there, others we considered at a loss (a quick reno and move on) turned out to be gut wrenching to leave.

It’s a hard thing when you are not like us with houses being transient. I say stay the path and find the vibe.

I LOVE The Castle!

You are right, the vibe can be fickle but I still need to feel something before committing to such a big purchase. Lets hope we can find it somewhere, sometime soon!

3. Julie says:

My husband and I have bought both our houses ridiculously quickly (the first one, we bought on the first day of looking, and the second one we first put an offer on before my husband even saw inside!) Location is really important to us, (and so is our budget!). If we fit these criteria perfectly, we haven’t worried too much about the actual house. I know that is unusual.

Having said that, I’ve also looked for a home that I can picture us living in, more of a family-style home. And, we have steered clear of the standard project-home style places – we like something with a bit of character/ charm – but that is just us!
    Julie recently posted..One of those days…

Julie, I totally understand where you’re coming from. Maybe I’ve been spoilt in my previous purchases by having a feeling to complement the rational decision, but I think I would feel more confident having a gut instinct to point me in the right direction.

Part of our problem too is that we are also not project-home people. I can’t count the number of places I have seen recently that seem to be the same old same old…we too are searching for a bit of character/charm, it’s just hard to find sometimes!

4. Jess says:

I think a bit like Julie; I just want to be able to see us living there. I think that’s the big thing, (after of course budget and practicality.) Buying a house can be such an emotional thing though. I hope you find something quickly!
    Jess recently posted..The Dish Ran Away with the Spoon

Thanks Jess – I’m hopeful we will find something soon. We better, else we will be homeless soon enough! There’s nothing like pressure to help make the difficult decisions, is there???

5. My partner and i are currently looking for “the one”.. I’m getting to know all about the vibe.
    Good luck with your house hunting. 🙂
    Me N my Monkeys recently posted..I Heart organizing | Homemade household Binder

I’m glad I’m not the only one Jane! I hate the double guessing and the endless search for “the vibe” – it’s really bringing us down at the moment and making us question what we want/need. Hoping we both find “the one” very soon!

6. Misha says:

I am a very picky buyer… It has to tick all the boxes and I have to totally fall in love with it and the area too. No pressure! But it has meant for a long search process. I ask my mum to help every time as we have the same taste … she’s never failed me. 🙂
    Misha recently posted..Comment on It’s not funny! by Jess

Good on you and your mum! Sadly my husband and I do not agree all the time so it’s not that easy for us – but we’re hoping to find “the one” for us really soon!

7. In our town there is a huge housing shortage- so any house is a good house. We bought our house really really quickly like Julie- made an offer the day we saw it- but we had a lot of insider knowledge on it as my grandfather built it! But I didn’t really feel ‘the vibe’. But next time I think I could be a bit pickier. I think It’s a lot different buying a house when you have kids- and we didn’t when we bought this one…. fortunately it’s been good to us. But really I think it doesn’t matter as much as we think it does. In saying that though, I still get what you’re waiting for- hope you find it soon!
    Robyn (@slightly_deep) recently posted..Top 5 must-have baby items….

It is a matter of perspective, isn’t Robyn? And that’s why I wrote the post, I honestly wanted to know what other people thought and whether I was asking too much. I think it is possible to buy completely rationally and without any passionate feeling about it.

But as I’ve always had a gut instinct when I’ve bought before I guess that’s my only guide for this purchase too. We’ll just have to wait and see how we go…

8. I think wait til you feel it in your bones. Rent for a little while if you have to but you’ll feel better if you wait. Good Luck! Rachel
    Rachel from Redcliffestyle recently posted..Do you love bedding? Giveaway valued up to RRP$205

Thanks Rachel. As it happens we will be looking through a place on the weekend that looks exactly like what we’re after – so hoping the vibe will be in evidence once we finally get to have a look inside!

9. SpecialK says:

Absolutely, it has to feel right. And you will know for sure. Wishing you all the best in your search for the perfect place for you all! Cheers SpecialK XoXo

Thanks Special K. I have a feeling about a house that has just come on the market so fingers and toes and everything crossed that it is right for us and that we can secure it for our family!

10. Daisy says:

I COMPLETELY understand what you are saying! We are still living in our first house, and after four years we know we have outgrown it (two bedrooms, one sleep out, one bathroom, five people including three toddlers = cramped!) but it just feels like “home”. It always has, since the first moment we entered the front door.
    And when we first saw it it had bright orange, purple and pink walls, with a splash of acid green in the loungeroom!
    I hope you find the vibe again soon 🙂
    Daisy recently posted..The best, chewiest and most delicious cookies I have ever tasted…

Isn’t it funny how some places pull you in, despite that stuff?

I will miss this place, for all it’s flaws. We had Delilah Bear here and the older kids have grown up so much while we’ve been here. It also felt “right” from the moment we came – I really do hope we can find a good vibe for our next home…