Sunday Session – Whitney & Mariah

I have a feeling there will be a bit of Whitney Houston as part of most people’s Sunday Session today – hoping Thea from Do I Really Wanna Blog is a Whitney fan!

I loved Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey growing up. As a young singer myself (I was head chorister in my church choir, I’ll have you know!) I idolised them and wanted to sing just like them.

Now, that was never going to happen but I remember singing along to their songs A LOT when I was a teenager, trying to perfect their intricate vocal gymnastics.

Whitney’s untimely passing reminded us all of what a beautiful and talented soul she was and brought back all those memories that I held of her music.

I especially loved “The Bodyguard” soundtrack and want to share two of my favourites from that album today.

“I’m Every Woman” is my favourite – I love the song and I love the filmclip – she’s looks so radiant, doesn’t she?

I also love “I Have Nothing” – the mix of softness and power really makes this song.

Whitney’s passing also brought to mind how I first thought she was the amazing voice behind “Vision of Love”, before I knew that Mariah Carey actually sung it. Doesn’t Mariah look fantastic, she should have stuck to the ingenue look rather than the sultry look she now favours…

This my other favourite from her first album is ‘Make It Happen” – again, such a vibey, positive song, how can you not feel inspired to make it happen for yourself?

Whitney and Mariah, I salute you, your beauty, your talent and your incredible music.

Happy Sunday to you all!

1. Thea says:

Whitney was going to be my first daughter’s name, Mariah was going to be the 2nd!! I loved them both too. Such talent. Beautiful Sunday Session!! 🙂
    Thea recently posted..Sunday Session

They are both amazingly talented – just so sad that Whitney’s voice deteriorated so badly and that her life was so tragically short. I hope Mariah can eventually dress her age and return to her roots – I was NOT a fan of her christmas duet with Justin Beiber, just wanted to throw a sheet over her and plead with her to act her age!!!

2. Shelly says:

I had Mariah’s Greatest Hits Album and Make It Happen was one of my favourites!
    Shelly recently posted..Sunday Session: Remix Convert

I can also put my hand up and say I own Mariah’s greatest hits album. But I used to have them all, up until she embraced hip-hop rap over R&B…I certainly like her old stuff better than her new stuff!

3. Wendy says:

Well, what an 80s trip! I must be the only person in the world who hasn’t seen The Bodyguard. And I’ve never owned a Whitney album.
    I must rent the movie some time. I do have a Greatest Hits CD of Mariah’s and some of her songs are very pretty. But both these ladies are too diva-ish for me! I just hope Mariah doesn’t go the same way, she always looks a bit doped out. xx
    Wendy recently posted..Mirror Songs – Sunday Session

Yes, I do have my concerns about Mariah but mine are more to do with the fact she still thinks she is 20 and not 40 something! The Bodyguard soundtrack is one of the classics of the early 90′, well worth a listen if you haven’t already heard it.