Sunday Session – The Brand New Heavies

This week I’m sharing one of my favourite all-time bands as part of the Sunday Session hosted by Thea from Do I Really Wanna Blog?

The Brand New Heavies were one of my favs in the 90’s. They were a British acid jazz/soul band who produced some awesome music, fusing jazz, pop, funk and soul together. Their songs always make me want to groove and sing along at the top of my lungs!

My first selection is “Dream on Dreamer” which I remember hearing for the first time in the Virgin Megastore in Darling Harbour, Sydney. I think I bought their album “Brother Sister” there and then and instantly fell in love with their music.

I also love “Forever” from this album – no real filmclip for this one but just close your eyes and listen to the music.

I then discovered some of their earlier music like “Stay This Way” – don’t you think they were true hipsters before their time?

In the late 90’s they got a new lead singer and a slightly different sound which is showcased in “Sometimes” – I love this filmclip!

I could pick another 4 very easily – but I’ll leave that for another Sunday Session!

1. Bee says:

I’m sure I’ve heard that last song before, but can’t quite put my finger on where. I really like it though, might have to add it to my itunes chill out list.
    Bee recently posted..Sunday Session – Favourites

I love all their music – it’s cruisy and perfect for a chill out. I can thoroughly recommend their albums “Brother Sister” and “Shelter” (which features Sometimes). Glad you liked it!

2. Trish says:

Very interesting music , have never heard of them ! 🙂
    Trish recently posted..Sunday ~ A good day

It’s perfect chill-out music – I’ve liked them for a long time now. I did enjoy checking out their stuff on YouTube for this post, it looks like they have since made another couple of albums so I’ll be getting those in the near future too!

3. Thea says:

Oh, I really like their sound! I haven’t heard them before.
    Thea recently posted..Sunday Session

4. Jayne says:

Oh man, I haven’t heard the Brand New Heavies for years! Loved Dream on Dreamer when it first came out. So groovy.
    Jayne recently posted..Sunday Session