My 5 Core Values

I am participating in Deb from Home Life Simplified‘s 52 Weeks to Simplify Your Life Challenge. Week 2 asks participants to identify their core values and list their top 5 in order of importance. Here is Deb’s post to explain in greater detail the aim of this week’s task.

I think many of us would struggle with this task as it is, frankly, confronting to recognise and share those values at the heart of who you are. I know I have wrestled with it, trying to whittle down my values and summoning the courage to explain them and share them here.

After much deliberation I have come up with the following core values that I think are the most important to me right now. I could have picked many more but I think these 5 are at the core of who I am.

1. Honesty

I value honesty above everything. At the basest level I can’t handle dishonesty and I find it hard to even cope with dishonesty from my kids – nothing riles me up more than when they try to lie to me to cover up something!

Accordingly, I try to be as honest as I can with everyone else. Anytime I am at all dishonest, I feel sick to the stomach, even if it is the most minor of things. I think I value honesty so much because it goes hand in hand with trust and trust is vital to any relationship, isn’t it?

On a deeper level I want to be more honest with myself and with my feelings and with my desires. Sometimes I’m not completely honest with myself when it comes to acknowledging my own reactions to other people or situations and I need to work on that to find real contentment and happiness.

I wrote recently about my mixed feelings in relation to my blog and how I want to find my truth again. In the end my blog is called My Home Truths for a reason – I want this site to honestly reflect my life as truth and honesty is at the core of who I am. That’s why I think this value is the most important to me.

2. Family

My family is my all. They are everything to me and I would do anything in my power to protect them and keep them safe. They amuse and infuriate and entertain me by turn and I love them fiercely.

I want to spend more meaningful and enjoyable time with them and value all those little moments that I’m often too busy to recognise. I want to build better relationships with each of my kids, as well as my husband, and learn to listen more closely.

As family is so very important to me I need to start better recognising their place in my life. The best way I can do this is by cherishing every moment and really being there with them, whenever possible.

3. Resilience

Resilience is an integral part of my character and my life. If I couldn’t find a way to bounce back from life’s challenges and disappointments I would be in a completely different place today. And it most definitely wouldn’t look pretty.

My resilience has helped me cope with my son’s diagnoses of albinism and autism and has more recently got me through my elder daughter’s unexpected Aspergers diagnosis. It has assisted me in coping with depression, surviving my return to work and the stress and strain of trying to be all to everyone.

I consider resilience to be a real strength for me and my family and I want to foster it further and celebrate it. I want to build resilience in my children and teach them the related value of perserverance.

When life keeps knocking you down and throwing you curveballs, having the strength, courage and determination to keep dusting yourself off and getting back up again is priceless. That, to me, is what resilience is all about.

4. Positivity

Hand-in-hand with resilience goes positivity. It’s one thing to handle and expect challenges, it’s another to keep a positive view moving forward, despite what might have happened in the past.

I want to be positive, I want to look forward to each day, I want to love life, in whatever form it comes.

Being positive means letting go of the past and embracing the future. It means looking for the good in everything and not assuming the worst. It means being open minded and willing to embrace whatever may come your way.

Ultimately, positivity means seeing challenges as opportunities rather than as blockers. I would like to be seen as a positive person and am trying to actively make this a reality.

5. Reliable

My family and I need reliability. I always strive to follow through with everything and expect others to do the same.

My kids need routine and certainty and we need people around us who can be depended upon to be there for us and do what they say they will.

Likewise I want people to respect me and know that I am responsible and accountable for my actions. That I am reliable and can be depended upon to follow through.

Reliability goes hand in hand with trust, dependability and honesty for me. They are core values that I strive to live by and I naturally gravitate to others who do the same.

So they are my 5 core values. It was hard to narrow them down and share them with you but I am so glad that I did.  I’m really looking forward to reading about what others value and seeing people’s journeys throughout this challenge.

On a personal level, I hope acknowledging my own core values helps me move forward in this challenge so I can truly change things in my life for the better. Fingers crossed for all of us, hey?

1. Madeline says:

Thanks for sharing these. I also found it a bit scary pressing publish on my response to this challenge. A few of yours were on my longer list too.
    Madeline recently posted..Values and Vows

I’m glad I’m not the only one who struggled with this. It was so hard to narrow down my values and own them – but I am truly glad to have been pushed to do it!

2. Lyndal says:

I really liked how you wrote about being honest with yourself especially… that can be so hard and scary to do!
    Lyndal recently posted..What makes the girl?

I have a suspicion being honest with myself is going to be my biggest challenge this year! It is indeed a hard and scary thing to do…

3. Lulu says:

This was so hard for me as well- I went back and forth what seemed like a million times not wanting to get it “wrong” but in the end I tried to remind myself they are not set in stone and they are my values anyway so of course I have the ability to change them if I want to.

I think the five I went with describe what I want for myself, my family and my life quite well. It also showed me areas I need to focus on more.

Great list! I see simlarities between us as well as you mentioned on my blog post.
    Lulu recently posted..Core Values {SYL12: Week 2}…

I’m so glad I wasn’t the only one who struggled with this. There were so many combinations I could have gone with but I’m still happy with what I came up with.
      It is interesting to see how different, yet similar some others’ lists are – I’ve enjoyed learning the core values of others!

4. Vicky says:

I have yet to press publish on my list, I’m still contemplating my way through it. It has been a very thought provoking exercise. I asked my 16yo daughter what she thought my values were. She said some the same that I consider, some different. It was interesting… and of course made me think even more.
    Vicky recently posted..Victim or warrior?

I hope you were able to publish your list Vicky – I will have to check it out!
      You’re right it was a very thought provoking exercise, I have a feeling each week is going to get much easier!

5. Honesty popped up on my draft list twice, but didn’t make my top 5. I have been trying to figure out why and can’t decide if I feel like I just expect it to be a part of everyone, which obviously it is not, or if it’s because if I expect it from everyone else, I should expect it from and for myself, when I know in many ways I am not honest with myself. If any of that makes sense, then yay. ha! Great list, resilience and positivity are great values and important life tools, I think!
    Aroha @ Colours of Sunset recently posted..Things I Know – The Job Hunt Edition

Makes complete sense to me Aroha! I know what you mean, you could have listed all the things you value, or list those you seek the most or list those you need to work on. However people ended up approaching it, it has been fascinating to read their values and how they came up with them!

6. umebossy says:

I really admire your list – they are all values that I wish were mine but I don’t quite feel I live up to! I agree with being more honest with myself… until I manage that one I don’t think I can truly be entirely honest with everyone else in my life. Good luck with the rest of your SYL journey!
    umebossy recently posted..SYL Week 2 Challenge: Values

I’m trying to live up to them – that’s why I’m undertaking this challenge to understand myself more and to be more honest with myself – but still lots of work to do! Good luck too with your journey, it’s going to be a long and interesting ride!

7. Arjee says:

For me, Family should be the top most priority among these list. But honesty should be always there with us. Thanks for posting such wonderful blog.
    Arjee recently posted..Happy New Year To All Of You And Hope You Like The Aquarium Fish Photos Here …

Family is a big priority and I had a tough time deciding between family and honesty for my number one value. But, in the end, I’ve valued honesty forever and I think it is an integral part of all relationships so I put it first – but it was definitely a tough decision!

8. SpecialK says:

A great post thanks for being so open and honest. Cheers SpecialK XoXo
    SpecialK recently posted..my 1st special endeavour for twenty twelve…

I’m trying to be more honest – for someone who dislikes and actively avoids confrontation it’s not going to be easy for me. But I owe it to myself and to my family to give it a go – that’s all I can do!

9. Thank you for being so open and authentic in sharing your list of core values. Positivity is also one of my values
    Raisefrequency- Yudith recently posted..Deep questions, life hard questions and weird questions- Love, dream and play