5 Things That Went Right in 2011

After my last less-than-positive post to bring in the new year I have decided to be proactive and embrace positive change in my life.

Deb over at Home Life Simplified has begun an amazing initiative for the new year, 52 Weeks to Simplify Your Life, and I have decided to join, in a bid to make real and lasting changes to my life.

The first week of this challenge calls for us to look back over 2011 and identify what went right. Even though I’m not in the most positive frame of mind right now I can easily identify 5 things that worked for me and my family last year.

1. Gilbert’s progress last year was fantastic. He started the year comfortable in his special autism class and ended the year with a series of successful transition visits to a mainstream class at his local public school. It has been hard work and there were times I doubted our decision to challenge him further but I am quietly hopeful that he will be able to successfully find his way when school returns on 30 January.

2. I’m proud of how Matilda eventually adapted to school life after 3 terms of stress and anxiety. She started the year so unhappy and anxious and afraid.  Her Aspergers diagnosis in July helped us better understand how to help her and she has made so much progress since then.  Although this diagnosis was obviously a low-point it at last gave us some direction and we are hopeful she will have a much more comfortable school year in 2012.

3. I went back to work after 11 months off on maternity leave in March and the world didn’t cave in, our house didn’t fall down and I survived! Yes, it is hard work, I’m not completely happy in our current arrangement and I am struggling to keep the house in order but our kids are fed, clothed and loved and that’s good enough for me! The fact that I have also somehow maintained a shred of sanity throughout the process is also a definite bonus…

4. I began my blog on January 1 2011 and kept it going all year which, to me, is a great achievement. I have loved connecting with new people and reading alternate points of view and being able to share my own highs and lows. My blog has become an essential part of how I process and deal with my life and has undoubtedly helped maintain my mental health and sense of wellbeing. A definite high point for 2011.

5. I realised in 2011 that I needed to find more time for me and when I did get that time, I was so much better for it. I didn’t quite perfect the balance but I now know what I need to do to be a better person, wife and mother. I want to feel less guilty for seeking time to myself and acknowledge that I have needs that are just as important as those of the rest of my family. This was a key realisation for me during 2011.

So clearly there were positives in my life in 2011 and I would love to take them further in 2012.

I also want to focus on 3 additional areas this year which I believe will enrich my life further – time management (my ability to organise and manage all my priorities), health and wellbeing (actively eating better and exercising more) and mind set (recognising I don’t have to do everything for everyone, letting go of my guilt and seeking time for myself ).

These changes will not be easy to accomplish but I am ready for the challenge.

I’m also looking forward to travelling the 52 Weeks to Simplify Your Life journey with Deb and all the other participants – I hope you too can come along for the ride!

1. Lyndal says:

loving your positive mindset, being ready for the challenges and goals you have set for yourself! Looking forward to reading more of you through Debs challenge 🙂
    Lyndal recently posted..We went to the zoo

Thanks Lyndal – I’m trying to be positive, that’s the only way things are going to possibly change for me, but it’s not going to be easy…! Looking forward to Deb’s challenge and going slowly through all parts of my life to achieve lasting change. Also looking forward to moving through the challenge with you too!

2. I am so happy to read your post Kirsty. I had seen your previous post but did not know what to say at the time that would be supportive…and I think this post stands so well in contrast. It could not have been an easy year but look at how far you have all travelled!

Your other challenge topics are all on the agenda for SYL and are actually 3 of the biggest topics. You will find that when we get to those topics you will have greater clarity thanks to the work we are about to do. In my opinion when we are clear on our values and mission the priorities we choose intentionally will support those, then we can find it in our hearts to let go of the rest. To make your wellness a priority, to seek out help as needed, and (if there is fat to cut) have less to prioritise overall. I think you are going to have a stellar year hon! I am thrilled you are giving this a go! We will all be supporting each other
    Deb @ Home life simplified recently posted..How to blog for new and non techy bloggers

Thanks Deb, you are an absolute inspiration for putting this challenge out there and getting so many people to go on this journey together! My last post was basically stream of consciousness and didn’t need a reply – I just needed to vent so I could move forward. I must admit I am happy (and relieved!) to have some guidance in moving forward and trying to make real and lasting change to my life. Thanks for this opportunity.

3. Blythe says:

Kirsty, it sounds like you did have a difficult year but you have made a beautiful list of the positives. I look forward to reading back through your blog and follwing you on this journey to simplify. I’m looking forward to writing about the goodness that came out of my 2011.
    Blythe recently posted..Sugar, baby

Thanks Blythe. It was a mixed year but there were definite positives and this was a great exercise for me to recognise them as I had not been feeling very positive lately. Looking forward to following you on this journey too – it’s great that we will have so much support as we try to simplify our lives!

4. Pats says:

Hi Kirsty
    It seems like 2011 wasn’t kind to a lot of us. This Home Life Simplified is going to help us a lot – not only with what Deb guides us with – but by supporting each other 🙂 Looking forward to further posts x 😛

Thanks so much for your support – I’m looking forward to the challenge and to seeing how everyone else goes as well!

5. Sounds like 2011 was challenging for you, I’m glad to hear about the positives though, sounds like you are on the right track and things can only get better from here on out! Looking forward to following your SYL journey.
    Aroha @ Colours of Sunset recently posted..Gratitude Week 1. I Am Changed

Thanks for stopping by – 2011 had it’s moments but it’s all steam ahead for 2012 – looking forward to following your journey too!

6. Jayne says:

So looking forward to sharing this journey with you and seeing you develop those other key areas, Kirsty (I need to work on them too!).

And Gilbert and Matilda have done so well! Proud mama moment for you 🙂
    Jayne recently posted..The IBOT post that wasn’t.

Thanks Jayne. I’m looking forward to seeing how I go too! 2011 was a big year but hoping 2012 will be better, for all of us!