Things I Know About Endings & Beginnings

1. LizC says:

Such a sad day. It makes it hard when your child doesn’t understand that these people won’t be in their life anymore. Leaving aspect felt like such a leap of faith for us. The first year out I felt I had done the wrong thing but now we are settled and grateful for the solid foundations that our time at aspect gave us. Best wishes for today and for next year too :grin:

Oh Liz, it’s going to be a hard day. Already teared up when he went on the bus for the last time – thankfully I will be busy today before I go and pick him up and inevitably drop my bundle then…

So glad that you feel more settled now, I know that first year out was especially hard for you. Wishing you all the best for next year too, with your big boy off to kindergarten – hope it all goes well for you all!

2. Reallyninja says:

Oh my, such a big step! You’ll be okay, just wait and see. :)
    Reallyninja recently posted..THINGS I KNOW: Internet connections

Thanks so much for your positive thoughts. I think he will be okay we just have to get through these holidays first…already want to send him back, he’s been pushing those boundaries, little scamp!

3. Wishing you all the very best with it, Kirsty. For now and next year. I really hope it’s a smooth transition. xx
    Kellie @ Three Li’l Princesses recently posted..Carols in the Blogger Domain Party: Click here to join in

Thanks Kel. He realises that he will not be going back and asked to buy a diary so he can write in it about his adventures there! I’m really hoping he gets to have even better adventures at his new school next year!

4. Jess says:

I can only imagine how hard this will be. I’m a person who hates goodbyes, but especially since they have been such a tremendous help for you would no doubt make it harder.
    I hope things go smoothly, and better than you would have imagined.
    Jess recently posted..Die Cockroaches Die!

Thanks Jess. I did have a cry but everyone was the same! Most of the other parents are on facebook and we have befriended one another so hopeful we can still organise get-togethers for the kids, it would be a real loss to let their fledgling friendships wither away…

5. Melissa says:

Goodbye is always hard. Especially when you have formed strong bonds and shared personal things and moments.

Goodbyes are hard on anyone. It was such a big week I ended up falling ill, which shows how much stress I was under.

But it was good to have the chance to say goodbye and thank them for everything in person – we will never forget everything they have done to allow my son to be ready for mainstream school, something that we always hoped for but never really thought would happen. It’s really beyond words!

6. Jayne says:

Wishing you all the best of luck with the transition. Exciting and nerve-wracking all at once. I hope the goodbye wasn’t too painful for your son. Will you be able to visit the staff again at some point?
    Jayne recently posted..Things I Know About Tormenting Children

Jayne, some of the staff are remaining there and have invited all the transitioning kids to come back at some point to let them know how they are doing so hopefully we will keep in touch.

My son did understand it was goodbye and was quite upset on Friday night – we promised to get him a diary so he could write down his adventures there and remember all the games they played – I’m hoping that will ease his anxiety at the separation.

7. Transitions are hard, especially when going from a specialist setting to mainstream. Boo did it going from kinder to school and although I nearly lost my mind with worry it turned out to be awesome for him.

Sending smiles your way
    Kelley @ magnetoboldtoo recently posted..The right thing to do.

Thanks so much Kelley – i know you have your own issues at the moment with transitioning Boo to high school but it’s reassuring to hear that others have made a successful transition to mainstream.

Just have to get through the holidays first, that boy child of mine is pushing the boundaries so hard at the moment (understandable with the stress he’s under) but far out, if I wasn’t on 5 different medications I’d be into the wine by lunchtime the way he’s going!!!

1. December 17, 2011

[...] 3. Things I Know About Endings & Beginnings Today marks both an ending and a beginning for my son and my family. Today is his last day in a [...]