Things I Know About Christmas

Merry Xmas! (image courtesy sarchsblog.blogspot.com)

I thought I would belatedly get into the christmas spirit since the day itself is only a mere 48 hours away now – better late than never, right?

While on sick leave this week I have had the chance to think about some of the things I like most about christmas and wanted to share them with you today.

I know these things make christmas all the sweeter for me and my family, I’d be interested to hear about what makes christmas so special for you and your family too!

1. Chocolate coated scorched almonds – what can I say, except yummy, yummy, yummy!

2. Christmas Carols – I was in a church choir when I was younger and spent many christmases singing all the old favourites. I still find myself humming along with the classics while shopping in over-crowded shopping centres. I also enjoy watching Carols in the Domain and Carols by Candlelight on TV and I loved attending our local carols by candlelight this year. This is something I am trying to pass on to the kids each year too.

3. Lights – I’m a sucker for christmas lights. I’m too lazy to put them up myself but I can appreciate the beauty of the light displays that seem to be everywhere else this year. I would like to go up to see the display at Hunter Valley Gardens but that may have to wait until Delilah Bear is a little older. Instead, we are planning to take the kids for a drive tonight around the local area, it’s just the thing to put you in a festive mood!

4. The excitement of the kids – my kids are almost bedside themselves with excitement. Every morning Matilda Bear wakes up and asks me what day it is today. She was especially happy this morning to find we are up to Friday, which means that tomorrow is Christmas Eve! There is nothing like the innocent enthusiasm of your kids to get you feeling excited too. I want to cultivate and encourage that feeling for them for many years yet….

5.  Family time – we are pretty close to our families anyway but it is lovely to spend special time with them at christmas. It doesn’t hurt that this special time also involves good food and wine and, of course, presents! But I think, above all, christmas is a time to spend with your family and I hope all of you have that opportunity this year too.

I could go on, but I’ll leave it there. Although I was a slow starter this year, I’m glad to have finally caught some christmas spirit!

I want to take this opportunity to wish you all a lovely, festive and fun-filled holiday – I hope it is a time of joy and happiness for you and your family!

I’m going to be having a little blogging holiday for the next few weeks but I’ll be back with the I Must Confess linkup on Sunday 8 January – so keep stock of all your holiday tales so you can link them up!

Linking this post up with Kellie from The Good, The Bad & The Unnecessary for Things I Know – do you care to share what you know this week?

1. Oooh, I love Christmas for every single reason you’ve mentioned. Can’t believe it’s only 2 days away!

Hope you and your fam have an amazing Christmas x
    Good Golly Miss Holly! recently posted..What blogging + those dreaded numbers known as stats has taught me in 2011.

Christmas is awesome once you can stop worrying about everything that needs to be done to make it awesome!

I can’t wait to see the christmas lights tonight, not to mention watching Carols tomorrow night – I’m such a big kids at heart!!!

2. Mmmm chocolate scorched almonds – yummo! I’m looking forward to most of those things this Christmas. We have a very exuberant light display on a neighbours house around the corner for the kids to check out – very convenient! I’m looking forward to a break too. See you in the New Year!
    Laney @ Crash Test Mummy recently posted..Merry Christmas and an exciting New Year!

I know, the chocolate scorched almonds rock but I’m all out of them at the moment – noooo!

We live in an area where there are lots of rentals so not so many lights, but there are magnificent displays that are a quick drive away from us.

Enjoy your blogging break too – bring on 2012!

3. Lyndal says:

Its definitely a lovely time of the year – I love it for catching up with our nearest and dearest (with excellent wine and food of course!) Hope you have a great day x
    Lyndal recently posted..Wordless Wednesday…

4. Linda (Me) says:

Thanks for popping by to my blog – ilove reading of families who have little children – to me Christmas is for the little children – it isn’t the same with a 19 yo in the house – enjoy !!

Have a great time !

Linda, I know what you mean. Before I had kids christmas wasn’t as special – it is great to have little kids around to just soak up their wonder! Having said that, I’m sure your day will be far less busy than mine! Have a great day!

5. Jayne says:

Enjoy your bloggy break, Kirsty.

I like other people’s lights too. Can’t be bothered with my own, but it’s a bit of a tradition for us to walk around one of the local streets where almost every house participates in putting lights up.

Have a good Christmas x

Jayne, I’m hoping to have a relaxing break (it coincides with some time off work) but, knowing me, I’ll end up posting in between anyway! Have a wonderful christmas!

6. E. says:

Great post.

In our family also also love chocolate coated almonds, carols and lights.

I hope you have a lovely Christmas eve and Christmas day with your family.
    E. recently posted..Ghosts of Christmas past

Thanks E. I did enjoy a nice, quiet family-filled christmas – with lots of chocolate almonds, of course! Hope you and your family had a lovely christmas too.

7. Have a great break Kirsty, rest up and enjoy Christmas. Christmas will be very special this year at our place as my nearly 4 year old is super excited this year and eagerly awaiting Santa. I also have an almost 1 year old who has started walking this week, it is our first Christmas with 2 boys. I am really looking forward to tomorrow mornings present fest (and the champagne breakfast!)
    Kyrstie
    Kyrstie @ A Fresh Legacy recently posted..My Patch – What is happening?

Kyrstie, I hope your first christmas with both boys was as wonderful as you hoped! We were woken early by some very excited kids who had a lovely time unwrapping and playing with their presents – it was a great day!