Things I Know – the D’oh Edition

Image courtesy popartuk.com

This is the D’oh edition of the Things I Know, things I should do but I never do…why, oh why do I continually do this to myself, when I know I don’t have to?

I’m dedicating this post to everyone who knows what they need to do to make things better but for one reason or another never learn from their mistakes – people, for instance, like me!

1. I know I need to go to bed earlier but I never do, so I’m always dragging myself out of bed tired and cranky. If only I’d turned off the computer at 9pm instead of 11pm. If only I’d not gotten into an interesting conversation on twitter. If only I’d not had that sudden urge to write a post at 10pm. If only I’d not got sucked into that B grade late night movie on TV….D’oh!

2. I know there is no point in reasoning with an ASD child when they are in full meltdown – so why, oh why, do I still try? When I know full well it’s not going to stop things and I’d be better off trying other strategies…D’oh!

3. I know I should have taken more care in hiding the christmas presents this year instead of just stuffing them quickly into the wardrobe where little beady eyes could spy them. Now I have endless questions about whether there is a Zhu Zhu pet castle in my room and why it is there and when can they have it…D’oh!

4. I know I have had a leaking toilet for some weeks now and still haven’t done anything to fix it and now it’s getting worse. Why haven’t I done anything, and, more importantly, why hasn’t my husband done anything to fix it??? Who knows what it’s going to cost us now when it may not have been so bad in the first place…D’oh!

5. I know letting my kids watch TV in the morning is inviting fights and pain and suffering into my life yet each morning I think things will be different. Apart from trying to keep them occupied while I try to get myself and them ready for the school and work day, why do I continue to let them watch TV and then moan and complain when the inevitable trouble strikes…D’oh!

Playing Things I Know again with Shae over at Yay for Home – what do you know this fine Friday?

1. beth says:

I need to do a “d’oh” version of Things I Know! I am posting this comment after 9pm and I SHOULD BE IN BED! 🙄
    beth recently posted..Kinder Duty

2. Jayne says:

Kirsty, I can relate to some of these. Ugh, why oh why do we stay up so late? I get my second wind if I stay up beyond 10.30, which then means I’m up until 1am. Eek.

I can’t let my kids watch tv in the morning. I’d end up being incredibly shouty. I feel as though I nag them enough already!
    Jayne recently posted..Things I Know about Jaynes

I always stay up late – it’s my alone time and I savour it a little too much! As for the TV, it is the easy way out turning it on (well my kids turn it on themselves nowadays) but I could really do without it….I need to be less lazy and have more steel – can you buy that anywhere????

3. Jayne says:

I can DEFINITELY relate to the staying up too late thing. Definitely. Every morning I curse my night owliness and every night I do the same thing. hehe.
    Jayne recently posted..Five Things I know about PMS.

Jayne, I’m glad I’m not the only one then! I just absolutely love my kid-free time but I also need a little more sleep time…just have to find a more creative and sleep-friendly way of getting both, somehow!

4. Laura says:

My kids love Homer 😀

I hide my Christmas presents in Davids cupboard – kids too scared to even look there!

Homer makes me laugh – even after all these years!

I hid the presents in a hurry, fully intending to hide them better before the beady eyes could spot them – but I forgot and they were seen and now I’m in damage control! Guess those presents won’t be from Santa anymore… 😉

5. tinsenpup says:

It’s so easy to go for that quick distraction that will give you five minutes of peace, rather than think about what will be best in the longer term. I do it all the time.
    tinsenpup recently posted..{this moment} – Water

I’m a lazy parent. I do have other challenges with my kids but I am guilty of going for the quick win in order to get stuff done. I’m not proud of it, but I’m not perfect either! Just call me Homer… 😉

6. Marita says:

Oh yes I am guilty of many of those D’oh moments myself.

D’oh
    Marita recently posted..Autism Hero Highlights

Glad I’m not the only one! I figure I’ll save my strength for the bigger battles and let some of the smaller ones slide – well, that’s what I tell myself, anyway!

7. Shae says:

After last years present discovery my kids are asking why there are no presents in my cupboard yet lol
    Mama has a new hiding spot

I’ll need to find a new hiding spot too, or actually try to disguise what’s hidden in there, it really was a D’oh moment!

8. nellbe says:

hehe… plenty of D’oh moments in my life. I also stay up too late as it is also my kid free time and I love it so much.

I have done that present thing too, expect I left stuff in the car boot. Not wise. This year I have shopped online and got stuff sent to my MIL and done a layby so they can hide the stuff before I get it.
    nellbe recently posted..Entertain! Cookbook Giveaway Winner

I will definitely be putting in place more safeguards for next year’s Xmas present hiding spot…can’t believe I was so lax this year!

I tend to stay up too late most nights – I’m with you, it’s my time and I really do enjoy it!!!