Things I Know – the D’oh Edition
This is the D’oh edition of the Things I Know, things I should do but I never do…why, oh why do I continually do this to myself, when I know I don’t have to?
I’m dedicating this post to everyone who knows what they need to do to make things better but for one reason or another never learn from their mistakes – people, for instance, like me!
1. I know I need to go to bed earlier but I never do, so I’m always dragging myself out of bed tired and cranky. If only I’d turned off the computer at 9pm instead of 11pm. If only I’d not gotten into an interesting conversation on twitter. If only I’d not had that sudden urge to write a post at 10pm. If only I’d not got sucked into that B grade late night movie on TV….D’oh!
2. I know there is no point in reasoning with an ASD child when they are in full meltdown – so why, oh why, do I still try? When I know full well it’s not going to stop things and I’d be better off trying other strategies…D’oh!
3. I know I should have taken more care in hiding the christmas presents this year instead of just stuffing them quickly into the wardrobe where little beady eyes could spy them. Now I have endless questions about whether there is a Zhu Zhu pet castle in my room and why it is there and when can they have it…D’oh!
4. I know I have had a leaking toilet for some weeks now and still haven’t done anything to fix it and now it’s getting worse. Why haven’t I done anything, and, more importantly, why hasn’t my husband done anything to fix it??? Who knows what it’s going to cost us now when it may not have been so bad in the first place…D’oh!
5. I know letting my kids watch TV in the morning is inviting fights and pain and suffering into my life yet each morning I think things will be different. Apart from trying to keep them occupied while I try to get myself and them ready for the school and work day, why do I continue to let them watch TV and then moan and complain when the inevitable trouble strikes…D’oh!
Playing Things I Know again with Shae over at Yay for Home – what do you know this fine Friday?
Do you want to become a more positive special needs parent?
Sign up to grab your free guide now! Full of practical advice from a fellow special needs parent.