Little Things Mean a Lot

Today has been all about the little things for me – you know, the things that often get overlooked and neglected but are so often essential to your happiness and wellbeing.

The little things I am grateful for today are:

1. Matilda Bear being greeted by another little girl at school this morning who took her hand and led her to where some other kindy kids were playing. For a child still battling separation anxiety and not confident in approaching other kids herself this was such a fantastic start to her day. For me, I had happy tears this morning on the way to work instead of the anxious ones I sometimes have when I leave her so upset.

2. Gilbert Bear going to his second school transition today. I was so proud of him going into the classroom with his itinerant vision teacher – can’t wait to see how it all went at 3pm today! I personally can’t wait for him to start there officially, it will be the culmination of 7 years of hard work and early intervention. I know I will be the proudest mother on the earth on his first day there next year!

3. Delilah Bear, at the grand old age of 18 months, becoming a little helper. Each day when I pick her up from daycare she gets her bag (which is nearly as big as she is!) and drags it to me. She also cleans up her highchair after each meal and brings in her brother and sister’s cups and plates after they’re done with them. I know this phase won’t last forever so I am lapping up her cute eagerness to help while it lasts!

4. Enjoying morning cuddles with my husband. It’s nice to have some time together before the relentless daily grind begins. I love starting the day in his arms…

5. Listening to my ipod on my daily commute. I have mentioned before how listening to music on my way to and from work helps me transition from one part of my life to the other – it is a small thing but I know how important it is for me to have that time to recharge and unwind.

Speaking of my ipod I wanted to share a song that I love with you today that works in so beautifully with my post for today (fancy that!).

It’s called Little Things by Boyz II Men from their first album Motownphilly. I think they are still around somewhere but I had a major thing for them when I was in high school and I do still enjoy their music today. This song is all about appreciating what you have and enjoying the little things. I think that is something we can all do a bit more of, don’t you?

Linking with Kate Says Stuff for Thankful Thursday – what are you thankful for today?

1. Carly Webber says:

Kristy aren’t the little things the best! So pleased for Matilda, how wonderful of her little friend. That must have made drop off so much easier… I still cry when I leave my daughter 🙁
    Delilah Bear sounds so cute and independent, adorable. Looking forward to celebrating Gilberts success next year with you! xx
    And number 4 is pretty special too 😛
    Carly Webber recently posted..Wordless Wednesday – "Black really isn’t my colour Mum"

Carly, they’re all special 🙂 I just need to remember to be thankful for the little things more often and not get so caught up with all the negatives that I seem to always focus on! Here’s to us both having a great 2012!

2. LizC says:

Thanks Kirsty. It has made me take the time to appreciate the little things in my life too. Glad all the bears are having good times at the moment. 😀

It is good to take stock of the little things sometimes…helps me deal with the bigger things that aren’t so easy to appreciate!

3. Ai Sakura says:

Beautiful little things to be thankful for. I like to listen to music on my way back from work too. I walk about 30 mins back so it kinda helps with taking my mind off the long distance too heh
    Ai Sakura recently posted..Wordless Wednesday {link party}: Korean Wooden Dolls

I couldn’t live without my music – but then again I don’t have a 30 min walk each day!!! Glad it helps take your mind off the distance!

4. I’m so pleased you tears where happy ones this time. Leaving the kids at day care can be so hard.
    Laney @ Crash Test Mummy recently posted..{House Keeping} My 3 secret weapons in natural cleaning

I’m such a sook Laney! But it is good to have happy tears instead of the sad ones…and she was good again this morning too, fingers crossed this is a sign we are finally moving forward!

5. Jayne says:

Lovely post 🙂 As a mum of a child who had separation anxiety until he was around 7.5, I can really relate to #1. There;s nothing worse than leaving a child who is anxious and upset, heartbreaking. Glad your little one was happy today 🙂

Jayne, it’s nice to know that we’re not the only ones who have dealt with this! It is heartbreaking leaving them so upset everyday – it was such a relief to see her happy and smiling yesterday!

6. Beautiful post Kirsty, am SO happy re Matilda Bear and Gilbert Bear. Your heart must be bursting 🙂
    katesaysstuff recently posted..Thankful Thursday: In for a penny…

It is so good to see progress after so much heartache and effort and worry. Gilbert went to transition again today and his aide thinks he’ll do really well next year – hearing that really does make my heart burst with pride and happiness and relief! Still a long way to go but if I keep focusing on the small wins and carefully work through the inevitable issues that will come up with both of them, we might just get there after all!!!

7. I am so glad your munchkins are settling in. My youngest 2 hate being separated from me too and it can just break your heart. xx
    Sonia @ Life Love and Hiccups recently posted..Thankful for My habit of Shopping & Stashing

8. Marita says:

Number 2 makes my heart sing for you 🙂
    Marita recently posted..The Mickey Mouse Invitation

Thanks Marita! Let’s hope it continues as well as it has started…both transition visits went well this week and he is still able to verbalise his feelings when he’s there (he told his aide his was feeling nervous and scared the other day!) so I’m pretty pleased about that!