Little Things Mean a Lot
Today has been all about the little things for me – you know, the things that often get overlooked and neglected but are so often essential to your happiness and wellbeing.
The little things I am grateful for today are:
1. Matilda Bear being greeted by another little girl at school this morning who took her hand and led her to where some other kindy kids were playing. For a child still battling separation anxiety and not confident in approaching other kids herself this was such a fantastic start to her day. For me, I had happy tears this morning on the way to work instead of the anxious ones I sometimes have when I leave her so upset.
2. Gilbert Bear going to his second school transition today. I was so proud of him going into the classroom with his itinerant vision teacher – can’t wait to see how it all went at 3pm today! I personally can’t wait for him to start there officially, it will be the culmination of 7 years of hard work and early intervention. I know I will be the proudest mother on the earth on his first day there next year!
3. Delilah Bear, at the grand old age of 18 months, becoming a little helper. Each day when I pick her up from daycare she gets her bag (which is nearly as big as she is!) and drags it to me. She also cleans up her highchair after each meal and brings in her brother and sister’s cups and plates after they’re done with them. I know this phase won’t last forever so I am lapping up her cute eagerness to help while it lasts!
4. Enjoying morning cuddles with my husband. It’s nice to have some time together before the relentless daily grind begins. I love starting the day in his arms…
5. Listening to my ipod on my daily commute. I have mentioned before how listening to music on my way to and from work helps me transition from one part of my life to the other – it is a small thing but I know how important it is for me to have that time to recharge and unwind.
Speaking of my ipod I wanted to share a song that I love with you today that works in so beautifully with my post for today (fancy that!).
It’s called Little Things by Boyz II Men from their first album Motownphilly. I think they are still around somewhere but I had a major thing for them when I was in high school and I do still enjoy their music today. This song is all about appreciating what you have and enjoying the little things. I think that is something we can all do a bit more of, don’t you?
Linking with Kate Says Stuff for Thankful Thursday – what are you thankful for today?
Do you want to become a more positive special needs parent?
Sign up to grab your free guide now! Full of practical advice from a fellow special needs parent.