Things I Know – The Happier Edition!
If you happened to have read my Things I Know from last week you probably would have gathered that I was in a difficult place. I was determined to have a more positive week, and while it started slow, it has got better. So here are the things I know for this week:
* I know that I am in a much better mental and physical place this week. I am still on antibiotics for a sinus infection but I’m feeling a million times better – and the kids are all recovered too, thank goodness! Mentally, it was still a hard week as we received the paperwork confirming Matilda Bear’s diagnosis, which put it there, irrefutable, in black and white.
* This was confronting at first, but ultimately it’s been empowering, as I now have the tools to make the specialist appointments to best help her and apply for funding to help maximise her access to therapy. We are looking forward, not back, and focusing on her first and foremost. It is our way forward.
* I know my husband is a generous man. He was so worried about a HSC student of his that he offered to provide a house (ours) and a family (us) to assist him in filming his HSC drama project. It was a hoot, Matilda Bear took centre stage as the spoilt daughter who wakes up on her birthday to be ignored by her parents. Predictably, she takes retribution only to find her parents had tricked her and had planned a surprise birthday party for her all along…
* I know my daughter has a definite future in performance, while her mother, who fluffed up her one line multiple times, has decided to not pursue a move to Hollywood and will instead stick to writing on her little blog!
* I nearly had a heart attack tonight when Delilah Bear took the opportunity to climb up on a table when I was getting her sister out of the shower…don’t think I have moved that fast for many, many years…actually I’m pretty impressed I can still move that fast when required!
* It’s my birthday this weekend. I will be turning 36 and starting the inexorable slide to the big 4-0. To be honest, I am too busy to worry about getting older and I am accustomed now to my husband’s sly comments about being older than him (yes, I am a sugar mama – I am a year and half older, more fool him for asking me to marry him in the first place!)
* My father-in-law has arrived back home from his Kokoda Track walk for autism awareness. His group did so well, they actually finished the walk a day earlier than planned – I am in awe of each and every one of them and so proud that they did it for autism awareness. Check out Step Up 4 Autism for photos and more information about their trek.
* I’m OBSESSED about renovation shows and have been watching way too much TV lately. Most nights I devour “The Block” and “The Renovators” – I don’t know what it is but I just love them. I also love “Grand Designs” on Sundays with Kevin McCloud and “Top Design” on Wednesdays with Jamie Durie. I LOVE them!
* I wore my jeans today for Jeans for Genes day. I have included a really bad photo of me (please, please ignore the mess that is my bedroom!!!) and a photo of the real Delilah Bear (her identity has been conveniently concealed – she was kissing her reflection in the window at the time!)
I hope you wore your jeans too and showed your support of this great cause.
That’s all folks. Go forth and visit our Things I Know host, Shae, from Yay for Home, and discover all the things we all know!
Do you want to become a more positive special needs parent?
Sign up to grab your free guide now! Full of practical advice from a fellow special needs parent.