I’m Grateful for…solitude

As I write this I am sitting at my computer, red wine beside me, the TV on (50 First Dates is murmuring away quietly in the background) and the kids tucked up soundly in bed. My husband is enjoying some rare time outside the family home and I am enjoying the solitude.

Now, I don’t wish for this all the time. In fact, for a long time I dreaded his nights away. I didn’t know what to do with myself. I was intimidated by the thought of wrangling my kids ALL BY MYSELF and I felt lonely. I used to need noise, crave activity and want the comfort of company.

After three children, four days a week at work, the stress and strain of getting five different family members off to their respective after school activities (yes, that includes me and my husband!) and the daily grind of household chores, I have come to cherish these rare times of solitude.

I can blog without guilt. I can drink wine and feel warm and merry and relaxed. I can watch sappy movies and listen to daggy 90’s music to my heart’s content.

For a little while I am the master of my world and answer to no-one (until one of the cherubs awakes and I fly back into mum-mode, of course!)

But mostly, I enjoy the quiet and the solitude.

And for that, I am truly grateful.

Much gratitude to the wonderful Maxabella Loves for hosting the weekly I’m Grateful meme. Go on over and check all the other posts, you’ll be grateful that you did!

1. Caz says:

Enjoy the peace and quiet. Nothing like a night alone 🙂
    Caz recently posted..Grateful I can laugh at my mummy brain

I am relishing it! I should be trying to write up some posts to schedule for the coming week but I am enjoying catching up on some uninterrupted blog reading instead – ah, the serenity!

2. Lol, Yes it is wonderful to have a few quiet moments to yourself. I think if I poured a drop of wine I’d pass out on the fumes. – I havent drank in a LOOOOONG time.
    So cool that someone else is grateful for the down time. I should go to bed now though. xx
    Courtney @ Nobashake recently posted..I’m Grateful For… the quiet moments

Let’s just say it doesn’t take a lot of wine to make me warm and fuzzy and very possibly silly! I should be going to bed too but I am so enjoying my time for me…will totally regret it in the morning though!

3. I must confess to loving the night time once the smalls are tucked away and the husband is away for work. The night stretches in front of me and (when I am organised)I make it all about things I want to do in relative peace and quiet… with trashy tv on in the background of course!
    Lionesslady recently posted..This week I’m grateful for…

It is so nice to have time just for you, isn’t it? That’s why I stay up way too late each night and then complain about being tired all the time…it’s a vicious circle really, but I can’t resist some rare me time. Glad I’m not the only one though!

4. Kate Sins says:

You just don’t appreciate solitude until kids are born… It sounds lovely. Just a bit jealous. Mr 6 months is still awake…! I’m living vicariously through you…
    Kate Sins recently posted..Our home.

I definitely appreciate time to myself far more now I have far less of it to enjoy! Hope Mr 6 months settles for you soon, I’m just waiting for my Matilda Bear to start becoming restless – she must have some sixth sense as she usually waits until I’m all warm and cosy in bed before needing me to get up to her…my plan tonight is to just stay up, do you think it will work?

5. Rhianna says:

One of the reasons I stay up so late is because I crave that alone time so much. I love spending my days with my children but gee it is lovely when they go to bed. Glad you get to enjoy this time for you now
    Rhianna recently posted..Things I Know

I do tend to stay up too late (as I am now!) but I need some alone time. It is the only real time I get to blog and interact with others so it is really important to me. It also means I can spend some time with the kidlets during the day – hoping it is nice and dry tomorrow for some fun in the yard!

6. Maxabella says:

Kirsty, I could totally have written this post exactly as you have. The 3 kids, the four days out at work, the 5 lots of EC activities… it’s all there. AND the wonderful moments of total ‘aloneness’ which I just revel in. x
    Maxabella recently posted..This week I’m grateful for… ribbons

7. I have had three nights this week exactly the same. And it’s been bliss. Yes, would rather not have it like that ALL the time, but on occassion it’s wonderful!
    Kellie @ Three Li’l Princesses recently posted..Grateful for the moment things go wrong

I really enjoyed my solitude last night, although I did stay up too late and was awoken rather early (so not really powering on all cylinders today!), but it was totally worth it!

8. Oh I love those nights of solitude!! Enjoy it and keep drinking the red wine

9. Bronwyn says:

I totally understand where you are coming from. I love my family and love spending time with them .. but it is nice to have some quiet time for yourself where you can relax and enjoy alittle me time. That is definitely something to be grateful for 🙂
    Bronwyn recently posted..Top 10 Must Have Twitter Tools

I think we all need down time sometimes to be able to be fully effective individuals – I am learning to be less guilty in wanting and needing that for myself!

10. Kirsty says:

Hmm. Just found your blog on Maxabella loves and couldn’t help smiling. My kids are asleep, I’ve got red wine in hand, the dog is asleep beside me on the couch… As much as I love the little ones, it’s so blissfully restful when they’re asleep and I can grab a little me-time! Solitude is lovely and it’s liberating to know other people feel the same way!
    Kirsty recently posted..Grateful for knitting and knitters

Yay, another Kirsty! And someone who understands where I’m coming from – I love my family desperately but I also love those rare times I have to myself. So very glad I am not the only one!

11. Connie Reid says:

That’s why I stay up way too late each night and then complain about being tired all the time…it’s a vicious circle really, but I can’t resist some rare me time. I have had three nights this week exactly the same. Good to know I’m not the only one living a crazy, crazy life – but, despite everything, I probably wouldn’t have it any other way! Solitude is lovely and it’s liberating to know other people feel the same way!