10 Things I Know About Me

Hello there lovely readers! I thought I would share 10 things you may not know about me today as part of Shae from Yay for Home‘s Things I Know linkup – so here goes…

1. I am a 90’s music tragic – the music on my ipod is still largely made up of the music of my teens and early 20’s. And I didn’t always like the cool stuff – I have Boyz II Men, Mariah Carey, Madonna, Take That, Kylie Minogue as well as the one hit wonder that was Jeremy Jordan on there (amongst 1000’s of others). And daggy as it may be, I still love them and they still make me smile everyday!

2. When I was 14 I went to Rome on a choir trip and shook Pope John II’s hand and also sang a solo in St Peter’s Basilica. I am no longer a practising Catholic nowadays but that trip was such a pivotal moment in my life…I was so lucky to have been able to go!

3.  I discovered my love of history on that trip – I saw Pompeii (although my choirmistress, Sr Helen, would not let me see the rather raunchy statues in some of the buildings!), we went to the Louvre & Versailles, I saw the statue of David, walked through Florence, Paris, Rome and London, went to a West End show (The Phantom of the Opera – still my favourite musical) and ended up going to Disneyland too (every child’s dream).

4. My husband and I spent our honeymoon in Paris and London – it has been our only overseas trip together and I would love to go again and give my kids the same experiences I had…we are slowly working towards that goal!

5. I have had 3 skin cancers removed so far with another weird and wonderful spot frozen off today at my 6 monthly skin cancer check-up. I even remembered to wear matching underwear for the occasion (I don’t get out much!)

6. We are considering selling our house and moving onto something bigger and better. We have been dancing around the issue of our house for nearly the entire 4 years we have lived here. We have looked into renovating, extending and even knocking down and rebuilding but there is always some issue with each option. So we are preparing to make the big move – I’ll let you all know how we go…

7. I started a cross-stitch for Delilah Bear before her birth and still have not finished it off, a year and half later. Obviously I am a loving and committed mother…

8. My dad took me to the local club the night before my first HSC exam (music – performance) and bought me an alcoholic drink to help me relax. It must have worked as I did far better than I anticipated in that exam – so hats off to you Dad!

9. I had really bad acne when I was a teenager and had to go on Roaccutane to bring it under control…still have the lovely scars to prove it, I can only hope my kids will not be so cursed when they enter their teenage years.

10. I don’t like coffee – hate the smell and the taste – but love hot chocolate and soothing cups of tea.

So there you are, 10 things you may not have known about me. Now you do, go on over to Yay for Home and find out what everyone else knows this week.

1. Kate Sins says:

I love these sorts of posts where the little tiny details in people’s rich tapestries become a little more apparent. So jealous that you even own matching underwear, let alone remembered to wear it!
    Kate Sins recently posted..When you don’t have siblings cousins are as good

Hahaha, I might own matching underwear but I forgot one other important thing – I had forgotten to shave my legs – embarrassment!

2. amandab says:

We don’t talk about Take That in this house. Or Bros. I’ve played the music, Miss 4 didn’t like it and as for the husband!

What a wonderful trip the choir tour sounds! Very jealous, and yes, would love to plan something like that with Miss 4. She has always been fascinated with Pompeii 🙂
    amandab recently posted..Things I Know

What’s played on the ipod, stays on the ipod! My husband’s the same, he gets embarrassed for me, but I don’t care, I like it and by gosh, I’ll play it!

We have talked about going away with the kids a lot and they love seeing shows about Paris and London – I’m not sure when we’ll get there but I really hope we can!

3. Chantel says:

Not like coffee??? But how do you function??:o)It would be amazing to take your kids to Europe – one of my big dreams at some stage when ours are older. We lived in England for seven years, so did a lot of travelling around, so to show them places with so much history and culture would be a dream come true!!!

Chantel, I wish I did like coffee, so many choices everywhere, but alas I don’t!

I would love to take the kids to Europe, it is definitely something we would like to do one day – just have to somehow make it happen. We have toyed many times with going over to England and working (my grandfather was British) but we’ve never taken that leap. I’m immensely jealous of your seven years there!!!

4. Hi Kirsty,

I’m a 90s music tragic as well, lately I’ve rediscovered the Britpop scene from then.

I had no idea you went to Rome, but then, our schools weren’t combined then. I do remember Sr Helen from year 11, when, in class performance lessons, she used to grimmace almost every time I put a drumstick on a snare drum. I can still see it now. I’m sure she ran for the hills at the thought of teaching me and the other boys for year 12 music!

My music taste has always been daggy but I’m not ashamed anymore! I love Britpop too, Oasis and Blur also feature on my ipod…

I think I was going into Year 9 at St Mary’s the year I went overseas with the choir – really was one of the best things that ever happened to me.

Sr Helen was lovely but intimidated by boys. I don’t think she understood the three of you at all (but you and Matt and Chris didn’t make it easy on her either 😉 Fun times!

5. Rhianna says:

What wonderful experiences for your teenage years. Oh and as for being a music tragic, you need not worry, you are not alone. For me though I am happiest bopping away to a bit of Johnny Cash or Kenny Rogers
    Rhianna recently posted..Things I Know

I was very lucky to have had such an experience and it definitely changed my outlook and my life. Glad I’m not the only music tragic out there (and I grew up listening to Johnny and Kenny so can totally understand where you’re coming from there!)

6. Elena says:

I would love to sell my house and to move to something bigger, but this is not really mine, is my mom’s house.

Living in something too small is challenging whatever your circumstances. I hope you can find a solution to your space issues too!

7. Just indulging a hot chocolate as I read your list. I love this list. You’ve had some incredible moments in your life. The Pope? Wow! I really need to do a list like this! 🙂
    Kellie @ Three Li’l Princesses recently posted..Grateful for the moment things go wrong

It’s refreshing to occasionally take the time to look back at some things you may not always focus on everyday (I loved thinking about these and remembering countless other events too…) I love reading these sorts of posts myself, so I hope you do write one – it really does give you a more intimate look at the person behind the blogger.

8. I’m a junkie for “old” music too. My iTunes is filled with music spanning the 60s to current stuff. That’s a scary 60 years worth! It ranges from country, pop, classical, soundtracks, rock, electronica, R & B, world music. The one genre that isn’t there is heavy metal. As to Take That, yes, I’m a groupie, and still following them since they reformed in 2006. Even my toddler likes their music and knows their names by heart. And she’s the one asking me to play the blu-ray concerts!
    Veronica @ Mixed Gems recently posted..Anthems for the Sleep Deprived

I’m so glad that i’m not the only one who likes Take That! I was a Robbie Williams fan (still am) and was quite surprised to hear he was getting back with Take That after all these years – will be interesting to see what they come up with…love it that your toddler is also a groupie in training, very cute!

9. Shae says:

I love these sort of posts!

And I love 90’s rock 🙂 was listening to the Gin Blossoms today!

The 90’s WAS my time – I was listening to Ben Folds Five today and it just took me back to my uni days and when I first moved out of home – good times! I like these sorts of posts too, will do another one when the mood strikes me again…

10. Jerry Rojas says:

I can see that now. We have toyed many times with going over to England and working (my grandfather was British) but we’ve never taken that leap. We lived in England for seven years, so did a lot of travelling around, so to show them places with so much history and culture would be a dream come true!!!
    Jerry Rojas recently posted..Many Cures