My Opinion on…Everything…
As you are no doubt bored to death about hearing, I am still undertaking the SITS 31 Days to Build a Better Blog Challenge. My day 19 task is to write an opinion piece for my blog. As I have an opinion on just about everything I thought it would be best to list just some of them here lest I offend all my lovely readers at once…
Here goes – my opinion on 5 big ticket topics:
1. I support gay marriage and hope that some day, in the not too distant future, gay and lesbian couples have the same right to marry as anyone in a heterosexual relationship. As a sane logical, pragmatic citizen, I am quite bemused that this is still a matter of debate for our major political parties, when it makes so much sense and would address a blatant injustice in our society.
2. I believe in vaccination against preventable diseases. I know that vaccination does not lead to autism. I feel absolutely sickened as I think of all the potential complications that could come to defenseless children because of a misguided distrust in vaccination by their parents. As a parent of a child with autism, I am blessed to have him with all his challenges and gifts and would not change him for the world.
3. I think we should show compassion to asylum seekers and stop politicising this issue. We are talking about real people, real children, real families, fleeing from unimaginable horrors. There is no excuse for us to sit back and talk about allowing people into our country on our terms. Please show some compassion to those in desperate need of it, instead of making their lives even harder to bear.
4. I know I could never be a stay-at-home mum. As much as I grumble about the stress of being a working mother, I need to work to be me. I can’t imagine myself not working and sometimes I do feel guilty about that choice. But I know I am a better mother for having something for me that’s outside the home and I try to make the most of the time I have with my kids before and after work.
5. I am not a fan of advertising on blogs. I still haven’t made a final decision on whether I’ll ever host advertising on my blog but I am leaning against it at the moment. I want people to come to my blog to read my free and random thoughts on anything and everything. I don’t want to lure people here by holding a giveaway or being locked into writing a post for an advertiser. Admittedly there are some perks that would be cool (sponsorship to blogging events, free stuff to try, etc) but I am not yet sure whether the perks outweigh my other concerns…
For those of you still here and still willing to read my blog, I thank you. I don’t often jump up on my soapbox but please bear with me when I do. There is often a very good reason for my rants!
What issues get you hot under the collar? Do you have strong opinions that you’re willing to share or do you prefer to keep them to yourself? Don’t be shy!
Do you want to become a more positive special needs parent?
Sign up to grab your free guide now! Full of practical advice from a fellow special needs parent.