5 Things That Inspire Me
I have decided my word of the month will be “inspire”. I am ready to be inspired and to inspire others…not quite sure how this will happen just yet but I guess I have a month to work it out!
Inspiration can come from many places – for me, it usually comes amidst the chaos of my mornings where I am racing to get myself and my three kids out the door. Quite ironically, at the one time of the day I cannot take the time to write things down, I get the best ideas for my blogs – figure that one out!
So, to celebrate my word of the month “inspire”, I thought I would share 5 things that inspire me.
1. Open fires – it is cold here at the moment and I have been enjoying beautiful wood fires in my fireplace. I love the warmth of the fire, I love watching the flames flicker all over the place and I love the smell of woodsmoke that comes with it. I remember the comfort that a real fire gave me when I was small so, in a way, I am getting the comfortable memories of my childhood every night that we light a beautiful wood fire.
2. My son – he inspires me in so many ways. His determination to do things despite his vision impairment and his autism is extraordinary. He is learning the piano and learning to swim, he is drawing and illustrating his own books (he has a mini-series called “Wick” about a dog with superhero powers!) and he loves reading and drawing his own comics. Just seeing him meet all the challenges that life has thrown at him inspires me.
3. Mornings – as I mentioned earlier, I am inspired in the mornings. I’m not sure whether my brain concocts these ideas before I go to work so I have some time to reflect on them before they are replaced by work tasks or whether it is my way of coping with our regimented morning routine. I don’t really know. All I know is that the morning are a fertile time for my mind and I am trying to make the most of it!
4. Music – I love music. Each morning, after I have deposited the kids to their respective schools/daycare I listen to my ipod on my way to work. I need to collect myself as I make the transition each morning from frazzled mother to cool, calm and collected worker ( I wish!). Music has always inspired me and I also find it a source of comfort and calm while in the whirlwind of my life.
5. Myself – it sounds corny, but I am the reason I want to be a better mum, wife, worker, blogger, etc. I try and inspire myself everyday to do better, try new things, go out my comfort zone. It doesn’t always work out and there are some days I wish I could just give up and curl up into the foetal position. But my pride in myself, my need to continue on and be the best version of myself that I can be keeps me from packing it all in. So, yes, I am proud to say that I do inspire myself everyday.
So there you have it – 5 things that inspire me. I hope you have some time this month to reflect on the things that inspire you. You may be surprised at yourself!
Do you want to become a more positive special needs parent?
Sign up to grab your free guide now! Full of practical advice from a fellow special needs parent.