Bloggity Blog Blog

I am a newbie to this whole blogging caper. I decided to start a blog as a new year’s resolution and, I am quite surprised, that I am still going, five months on. Pity the other resolutions to exercise more and eat better have not lasted quite as long…!

I began my blog on Blogger and wrote a few posts but then let it go…and it would have probably gone the way of the other resolutions had not my husband stepped in and helped me to get started on WordPress. I sort of cheated as he did most of the set-up for me and I just went ahead and started posting, which is why my blog, to this point, has not been big on links or buttons or pictures.

I had no idea how to do any of that stuff, which was starting to really affect some of the things I wanted to do. For instance, I wanted to show I was a part of Digital Parents Australia, that I had signed on to their Blogger Manifesto and participate in some other activities that required the insertion of code into my site. I had absolutely no idea how to do this, no idea whatsoever!

I mentioned this to my husband this morning, who sat me down in front of the desktop and showed me what to do. I now have buttons and pictures and a twitter feed in my sidebar. None of this is hard, but when you don’t know where to start it can be daunting and so easy to just put it to the side and leave it for another day.

I must also confess that I was a bit stubborn and didn’t ask him before now as I did want to try and do it myself. Unfortunately, I am so time poor I would find my available time taken up by writing posts or catching up on blogs so I never did get around to looking into any of this myself. So I am very grateful that he sat me down this morning and went through all these things with me!

I have seen lots of discussion recently about Blogger vs WordPress.  My take on the issue?  I think WordPress is great and definitely the way to go but you do need to know what you are doing or find someone who does.

Luckily I have my husband, who is a veteran of a number of sites, including NathanRussell.net. He is a writer and game developer and has pretty much self-taught himself to work through WordPress – I think his site is very impressive (and I will continue to try and get some more ideas for my own site!).

I am also about to embark on the 31 Days to a Better Blog challenge through the SITS Girls website to improve my blog further (see my fancy new button?).

Ultimately, I am still not sure what I want from my blog. I love the outlet it gives me to vent and share my life with the world but I am not sure I want to get into product reviews or giveaways or anything like that. For now, I think I am content to just try and find a writing groove that will work in with my busy life and will allow me to produce quality posts and still catch up with some of the other wonderful bloggers out there.

Have you found someone to help with your blog or have you been able to teach yourself? What is your vision for your blog and how do you plan to achieve it?

1. Brenda says:

Yay for geeky husbands.; )
    Brenda recently posted..Push Pull

2. shelley says:

Hi Kristy,
    I’m so glad that you are taking the 31 day challenge! It is a great way to help start a blog, i actually started in 2009 and jumped in with Darren on one of his original challenges and I learned so much! I love your list post too! inspired!~ as a special needs mom, i totally understand how inspirational our special needs children are!
    Waving, your hostess!
    shelley 🙂
    shelley recently posted..Its that time again! ProBlogger 31DBBB

• admin says:

Hi Shelley, thanks so much for stopping by!

Yes, our special needs kids are inspirational, on the hard days it helps to remember that!

I am really enjoying the challenge so far and getting to know the other member of my group – makes it so much easier to keep up with it! I’m already getting so much out of this, really confident my blog will start growing in the right direction – thanks for being such an approachable and inspiring hostess!

3. She'sWrite says:

YAY! Keep up the great work! I’m glad we’ve connected over 31DBBB. 🙂 I understand about wanting to figure things out on your own before asking Hubby. My Hubby works in technology and I kid you not when I say he can build a computer easy peasy, but I wait until I’m really up against the wall before asking for help. Silly me. Good for you though for reaching out. 🙂
    She’sWrite recently posted..Reveling In My Land Of Nod

• admin says:

So, so true! I think it is great to want to work things out yourself but sometimes you just have to swallow your pride in order to move forward! Thanks for taking to time to read and comment on my post!

4. I set up my blog on my own. I am used to working on websites due to my work so that certainly makes it easier. I also use wordpress. What I don’t like about it is the huge time it takes up get pictures ready for my blog. In the end I post only once a week. If you have questions on WordPress, let me know. I’d be happy to help.

• admin says:

Thanks so much for that! WordPress can be daunting at times and I have lots more to learn…I find I go along okay for a while and then find an obstacle that I need help with. I will definitely keep your offer in mind, thanks for stopping by!

5. MultipleMum says:

I won a makeover by the Stockport Hotel. She did all the hard bits, I just have to maintain it (have you noticed the Weekend Rewind doesn’t really have a button that links to my site? That would be my job!!!). Thanks for linking up x

Haha! I much more enjoy the writing of the blog than all the technical stuff but I am slowly learning! Love linking up, very excited when I actually have a post that fits in with the theme of the week!!!!! Thanks for hosting….

6. OOh. How did the ProBlogger course go? Did you learn heaps – I did! I’m hopeless at the tech stuff. Fortunately I have a sister who’s pretty good!

Visiting from the REwind.

Hi Alison, thanks for visiting again. I am still doing the Problogger course – it has officially finished on the SITS site but I am still ploughing away – I am determined to complete it! It is a fantastic way to open your eyes to things that you may not even think are useful to blogging and it has helped a bit with putting the tech stuff into perspective – but I think I’ll still retain the handy services of my husband!!! Tech savvy relations are so handy… 🙂

7. Visiting from the rewind.
    I just jumped on the Blogger site and started without doing much research re Blogger vs WordPress.
    I also had trouble getting buttons on my blog but have finally worked it out – there is a lot of help and husbands out there.

I started on Blogger without even having read much in the way of blogs (I can’t believe I just jumped in with so little idea of it all!). After I started reading others and joined Digital Parents Australia that’s when I started looking at what I wanted to do and eventually had the conversation with my husband and my blog is now all the better for it. I still struggle with the tech side of things (looking into putting a blogroll on there at the moment) but I know far more now than I did back in May when I first wrote this. Thanks for visiting and for sharing your experience!

8. I’ve done all the bits and pieces on my blog, but have built it up over time.

I would love to migrate my blog over to WordPress, but I have had my blog for almost two years and am worried that I will lose followers and backlinks. Also, I have paid advertising on my blog, so it wouldn’t be fair if I switch to a new URL until I have fulfilled my obligations as far as advertising is concerned.

Visiting from the Rewind.

Shelly, yes it would be a massive undertaking to migrate an established blog from Blogger to WordPress. I was lucky as I only had a handful of posts and it was easy to create a syndicated feed from my Blogger site to my new WordPress one. The one complaint I do have about this is that it doesn’t allow me to format the syndicated posts – they all show as unbroken text. I have tried copying and pasting and re-formatting but to no avail. Hopefully there will be a way for you to make the move once once your advertising obligations are met – thanks for coming by!